We’ve somehow been at this for four years already, and the joy this little business brings to our lives hasn’t worn off. It is the hardest we have ever worked, and we have certainly stumbled along the way- but this little dream fills our hearts in ways we never imagined it would when we opened the door for the first time in June of 2016.
- Kindness & Community are what led us to open The Trainyard. We are still figuring out how both exist in business but the search for community connection is why we quit our jobs to open this little shop in the first place!
- Downtown Dartmouth is our favourite place. We are so grateful to be part of an amazing and growing entrepreneurial community, and to have built friendships with the fantastic humans who live & work in the neighbourhood!
- We LOVE handcrafted goods! Those that serve a practical purpose, give back to the community or make you laugh out loud are our favourites!
- We want to keep growing, learning & sharing. We are far from experts on small business life, but if you have questions or ideas for us we’d love to hear them! Send us an email and let’s chat.
- Trainyard Connect is the part of this business we’re most proud of. We’ve partnered with over a dozen incredible organizations, and donated over $7,500 to help support their work in our community. We have had hundreds of conversations about the importance of those organizations with you and had the chance to see their programs in action or meet with those who benefit from the programs.
- You can get a feel for our history, and hopes for 2020 in this Halifax Today article if you still want to know more!
With two tiny humans in our lives, The Trainyard is a family business now more than ever before. We are still learning how to balance parenting, small business and a side job - but it’s absolutely worth the effort. Thankfully we’ve been able to find an absolutely amazing staff team to help us keep going and growing- they love the community as much as we do!
We are truly grateful to each and every person who has visited, reached out online or spoken kindly. Small businesses can’t survive without a community holding them up and supporting them, and we are thankful for ours every single day. If you have suggestions, or ideas for collaborations we would love to hear them!
We can't wait to see what the next year holds for The Trainyard!
Sending lots of love & gratitude your way,
Jason & Kimberley