Work With Us (Jobs)
Interested in Employment With The Trainyard?
We have a small but mighty staff team but as we continue to grow into our new space we're always interested in hearing from folks who feel our values and approach to business are the right fit for them.
Currently no posted jobs are available, but feel free to send a resume and cover letter, with your current availability if you believe you'd be an asset to The Trainyard team. We will do our best to reply, but not all applications will receive a response as time is short most days.
Please email your resume & cover letter, with SUBJECT: PART-TIME to hello [@] trainyardstore.com
It is anticipated any upcoming openings will be part-time only with starting hours of 8-12 hours (~2 shifts) per week.
Responsibilities May Include
- Engage with customers, and welcome them to the shop & Downtown Dartmouth neighbourhood
- Become a product expert for our inventory of locally made goods, and be able to share the stories of goods and their makers with customers (this information will be provided!)
- Develop a strong knowledge of upcoming events and Trainyard Connect
- Create a welcoming environment for customers, makers & the community. Provide support toevents, pop ups and more as needed.
- Open & close the shop independently
- Process transactions & returns on an iPad based system
- Receive deliveries and price goods as needed.
- Maintain organization of goods stored.
- Work as part of a larger staff team (overlapping shifts)
- Keep storefront safe, clean, & well stocked.
- Complete daily cleaning duties, and additional Covid-19 cleaning as needed.
- Enthusiastic about handcrafted goods, community, & Downtown Dartmouth!
- Able to work independently and resolve problems as needed.
- Flexible to change, able to go with the flow
- Willingness to learn and ask questions to support that learning!
- Familiar with The Trainyard and our approach (especially Trainyard Connect!) - it’s really important you understand what we’re all about!
- Retail experience is great, but absolutely not required.
- Reliable availability: We need to be able to count on you! This position may not be ideal for those with limited weekday availability or pre-existing weekend commitments.
What We Offer
- An hourly wage of $14.50/hour to start + 4% vacation paid out bi-weekly
- Employee discount (30%) on purchases
- On the job training & opportunities to grow
- Fantastic customers & products
- A safe and inclusive work environment
- Paid sick and snow days
- Membership to Carbon Neutral Club
What To Expect From Scheduling:
- Regular shifts for this position will include 2 Saturdays a month, 1 evenings per week until 8pm at the latest, and the possibility of alternating shifts.
- Schedule is made a minimum of 2 weeks in advance.
- Most days are split across 2 shifts, so you’ll open or close but not both.
- You won’t be asked to work all weekend shifts in a single month, they’ll be shared amongst the team with rotating time off to ensure some work-life balance.
Monday-Wednesday, Friday & Saturdays: 10:00-6:00
Please, use your judgement: If you can’t commit to a reliable schedule, aren’t available weekends or are in school until 12 or later daily during the week, expect to go on a prolonged vacation when restrictions ease, etc the timing may not be ideal for you. We still think you’re awesome, but we need someone who can commit!