Work With Us (Jobs)
Interested in Employment With The Trainyard?
September 2023 Update: We are happy to accept applications for casual shift coverage on an ongoing basis. Currently we don't have any regularly scheduled shifts available but can sometimes use casual support and are looking to build our network.
If you provide amazing customer service and would keep the shop looking great we would love to hear from you! This role would be on an on-call or as needed basis to cover vacations or sick days, etc.
We have a small but mighty staff team but as we continue to grow into our new space we're always interested in hearing from folks who feel our values and approach to business are the right fit for them.
Start Date: TBD
Contract Length: Casual, ongoing.
Hours & Shifts: This is a casual part-time position
- Create a welcoming environment for customers & makers, engaging about the shop & Downtown Dartmouth
- Keep storefront safe, clean & well stocked. Tasks include: daily sweeping, cleaning cleaning high touch areas & taking out garbage/recycling, and cleaning shelving units and displays, maintaining organisation of goods stored and ensuring general tidiness of the space.
- Process cash and card transactions & returns on an iPad based system (Shopify) and build relationships with our awesome customers.
- Provide support to Community Collective Creative Workshops and other special events as directed.
- Work as part of a larger staff team; Work independently to open/close as needed.
- Maintain a Covid-19 safe environment; Our staff team remains masked when customers are present and we continue frequent cleaning.
Skills & Qualifications
- Experience in small business retail is an asset (we don’t upsell to customers, no sales quotas or goals).
- Enthusiastic about handcrafted goods, community engagement, & Downtown Dartmouth!
- Able to work independently and resolve problems as needed
- Flexible and adaptable to changes
- Willingness to learn about products and local events (and to ask questions to support that learning!)
- Familiar with The Trainyard and our approach (especially Trainyard Connect!) and community values.
- Interested in creative projects, or willing to develop a general level of craftiness!
Reliable availability is essential!: Shifts require weekday availability (Monday-Fridays) and will include up to 2 Saturday/Sunday shifts per month.
What We Offer
- An hourly wage of $15.50/hour to start
- Employee discount (30%) on purchases
- On the job training & opportunities to grow
- Fantastic customers & products
- A safe and inclusive work environment: Check out our values here
- Work Life Balance: Whenever possible our schedule is made 2 months in advance to allow for planning of personal time off. Where availability allows at least one weekend a month is a long weekend.
- Paid day off for Birthday
- Paid sick and mental health days
What We Offer
Please email your resume, cover letter and availability with subject: PART-TIME to hello [@] trainyardstore.com and let us know why you would like to join The Trainyard team this Fall!
We try to be transparent about our values as a business all of the time, but to be clear: this position is open to everyone. If The Trainyard feels like a safe space for you, please feel free to self-identify as Indigenous, Black or a Person of the Global Majority on your application or to share if you are a member of the 2SLGBTQ+ or disabled community. You can learn about our values at work in detail on our website and please reach out with any questions.
Successful applicants will be contacted ASAP, due to time constraints all applications may not receive a response. Posting will remain active until the position is filled.
Expected Holiday Season Hours: Monday-Sunday between 9:30-7PM
Please, use your judgement: If you are a student or otherwise employed and your school/work schedule would overlap with our open hours then this isn't the position for you. We provide this information in advance to ensure we're interviewing folks whose availability matches our needs. We still think you’re awesome, but we need someone who can commit to being here with us!